Official Date for ICD-10 Implementation Announced

CMS LogoThe U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) issued a rule Aug. 4 finalizing Oct. 1, 2015 as the new compliance date for healthcare providers, health plans, and healthcare clearinghouses to transition to ICD-10, the tenth revision of the International Classification of Diseases. This deadline allows providers, insurance companies, and others in the healthcare industry time to ramp up their operations to ensure their systems and business processes are ready to go on Oct. 1, 2015.

The anticipated announcement is consistent with speculation the date would be moved back by exactly one year, as the original mandate was scheduled for Oct. 1, 2014.

“We’re very pleased HHS issued the official ICD-10 implementation date. We look forward to helping the industry continue to progress with testing and improving coder productivity. The finalization of the date provides clear incentive to improve physician documentation,” said Rhonda Buckholtz, CPC, CPMA, CPC-I, vice president of ICD-10 Training and Education at AAPC.

sep-150k-member-promo-300x250-1a

Stay Tuned

AAPC will follow up with more information on the steps organizations should now take to prepare for ICD-10 implementation.

To stay up-to-date with the latest ICD-10 announcements, subscribe to our RSS feed or follow us on Twitter: @aapcstaff

icd-10-final-sprint-banner-300X250-1b

Print Friendly

27 Responses to “Official Date for ICD-10 Implementation Announced”

1. Brad says:

Everyone keep fingers crossed!

2. Lois M says:

Time will tell if it goes through or not. Keep contacting your political representitives with your wishes. They work for us, we all need to remember that fact.

3. Jennifer Rogers says:

I am glad that this date has been finalized. I have been ready for it for years now. It needs to happen and doesn’t need to be pushed back again.

4. Mary Mullnix says:

I too am ready for this change and really do not want to see it delayed in any way.

5. Amy P. says:

With all the delays and set-backs and now the money that we as coders have paid for training/trainer certificates as well as the need for the implementation I will be very shocked to see if this actually goes through this time. Keeping my fingers crossed every day :)

6. Amy S. says:

I agree this needs to go through in 2015. Especially since the WHO only froze the ICD 10 codes through to 2015 to give us time to put it into use. As for all of the physicians whom are crying ‘OMG its not enough time.’ Um last time I heard its been stated we are going to ICD 10 since 2009. By now I think we have had more than enough time to prep if we stop acting like big babies.

7. Amy D. says:

Our local community college had an online class for ICD-10 listed on their website, apparently offered by AAPC. After placing an inquiry about the class I just got a call from a person located in Frederick, MD who didn’t even know what AAPC stands for & wanted to let me know that the class is NOT being offered at this time.

She said that the federal government would “skip over ICD-10 & go straight into ICD-11, adding even more new codes.” Do you all have any info about this development?

8. Sabine D. says:

We might as well hold tight and wait for ICD-11.
    This back and forward stuff can drive anyone mad.
    To me it does not make any sense to do this ICD-10 stuff when 11 is right around the
    corner.

9. suresh myneni says:

eagarly waiting for this ..!!

10. Michelle D. says:

I just wish they would stop stalling and just do this. . . . We as coders/billers/providers need to stop whining and just go with it as it will move a lot easier if we embrase it, cause it is going to happen.

11. S.HARIHARAN says:

Good Start,Very Glad for moving to next phase.

12. Sasikala Natarajan says:

Eagerly waiting for ICD 10.. Good to know about the finalized date.. But let it be the last without any delays. Keeping the fingers cross :-)

13. WHITNEY F says:

I KEEP HEARING PEOPLE SAY “WHAT’S THE POINT? WE SHOULD JUST WAIT FOR ICD-11″. IT IS TO MY UNDERSTANDING THAT ICD-11 IS NOT SET FOR IMPEMENTATION FOR AT LEAST ANOTHER 10 YEARS. ALSO ICD-11 IS BASED ON ICD-10. IF WE ARE NOT READY FOR 10 HOW ARE WE EVER GOING TO BE READY FOR 11? I SAY BRING IT!!!!

14. Gisele Sorenson says:

Whitney I agree with you. It’s time to put ICD-10 out and get used to the changes and when ICD-11 is ready to be released we will already know how to use it and the changes won’t be so big.

15. Vijay says:

Eagerly looking forward to start on ICD 10

16. Vijay says:

good news, looking forward

17. Dr.T.Sugathan says:

Very Glad for moving to next phase.

18. stalin arunachalam says:

Good start,and very happy to move in to the next phase of coding.

19. Adrain says:

Seeing is believing! I don’t think I will hold my breath. They had a set date last time and changed it.

20. marilyn says:

Hello,
    I am in school training in ICD-9, so I hope I can make it before the ICD-10 will be available 10/1/15.
    Back 2 class …..

21. Ruth says:

Rumor is, the patch to prevent the 21% CMS reduction across the board for physicians is going to include another delay in ICD-10.

22. Brad Ericson says:

During a hearing in Congress last week, representatives pretty well buried that possibility.

23. Rachana says:

eagerly waiting for ICD-10. Happy that the date is finalized.

24. PREETI says:

eagarly waiting !!!!!!Glad for moving to next phase

25. Amiee C says:

We cant wait and go straight to ICD11 since ICD-10 is the groundwork for ICD11. We have had plenty of time to get ready for ICD-10. If people are not ready after 6 years, there is a big issue.

26. Anita Johnson says:

Frankly, from a strictly coder’s point of view. ICD-9-Cm matches the quality of documentation we get from our providers, so as a 30 year veteran of ICD9, I’m happy to prolong ICD10.
    Sorry…

27. Anita Johnson says:

I have tried to post on this website before and apparently it takes out comments against ICD-10